May 6, 2006

The ultimate crafty adventure in New Orleans - part 1

Well, I'm back from New Orleans, and, sewing aside, what an adventure in itself! The city was wonderful, and I can't believe the hospitality we received. Although the city isn't fully back up and running, everyone we came in contact with made such a huge effort to make our stay memorable, and it most definitely was. From the JazzFest to our guesthouse to the wedding, everything was perfect, and we couldn't have asked for a better vacation.
If you don't feel like reading my entire entry (warning - it'll be long!), here's a link to my photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blueandyou/sets/72057594127445012/

So, why is this a crafty adventure, you may ask? Well, with 10 bridesmaids, none of who live within 1400 kms of me, most of who live over 6000 kms away, there were bound to be some last minute alterations. And, man, were there alterations!

Our arrival in New Orleans was greeted with a band playing in the airport! Unfortunately, I didn't pull out my camera, but, I promise, that was the only time during the trip that I didn't take a picture when I wanted to :)

We arrived at the Canal Street Guesthouse, and were greeted by Cathey, one of the owners. She gave us the tour, which included showing us where Julia and Brian's room was, and sure enough, there they were, playing Scrabble on the balcony! The guest house was awesome, it had everything we needed (plus wireless internet in our room!), and it was so comfortable we felt like we were staying with family. Here are some pictures of our room, the "Cowboy Room".







The other owner, Mr. Sam, came over while we were on the balcony and told us some VERY colourful stories about the guest house's former life. Apparently, there was a bar downstairs that attracted all kinds of junkies and hookers, and the guest house was a rooming house that was in cahoots with the bar. Needless to say, it was pretty shady. Luckily, this was 10 years ago, before Cathey and Sam bought it, and the bar is now closed, and the guest house is now AWESOME. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone going to New Orleans.

So after checking in, the Mom called me to bring over my sewing machine. So, I brought it to her hotel, where her and Dad had a suite, and set up what was to be sewing central for the next 3 days.

Friday night was pretty tame for me...Chris and I went out to dinner, then met up for drinks with Julia and Brian at a courtyard pub that had a flaming fountain in the center. Yup, a fountain with running water and flames coming up from the top. Cool. Then I went back to the guest house to go to bed (we'd been up since 4:30 in the morning!), and Chris, Julia and Brian went to see Galactic.

Stay tuned for part two!

No comments: