May 8, 2006

New Orleans - part 4

It's Gill's wedding day! It was raining when I got up, but the sun came out and it was a beautiful day!
I decided to splurge on breakfast, and got Subway. Finally, a huge cup of coffee!
We got to work as soon as I got to Mom's room. She had done the fitting for the last dress the night before, and had just finished up the alterations on that dress. We had 2 to go, so I did one and she did the other. Kathleen and Dorice were finishing the sequins on Gill's dress. It was down to the wire!
Gill called the room at one point, and croaked "I need a bandaid." She sounded dead! I said, "Happy Wedding Day!" They were checking out and leaving for the Maison Dupuy, everything was on!
I left to get showered at 12:30, and the Mom was still finishing the last dress. I owe her, HUGE! I was supposed to be at the hair and makeup appointment at 1:00, but Gill had told Julia and I we could be late, they can only do one at a time, right?
So, Julia and I left the guest house at 2:00, and I really didn't want to walk the whole way this time. With the most half-assed cab flagging EVER, we got a cab and got to the hotel.
Of course, there were still lots of girls left to get their hair done, so Julia and I went to the bar to get lunch. The kitchen came back to the bartender to make sure that I really did want a BLT without the B, which I did, so we got our order and took it back to the hair and makeup room. It was very low key, lots of nail-polishing, salad and fries eating and a few drinks going around :) At one point, a cockroach came crawling out from under one of the tables. I thought it was funny that the first cockroach I saw was in probably the nicest hotel we'd been to!
We were definitely running late. I got my makeup finished at the same time we were supposed to be starting the photos, so I headed right up to the room where there was frantic steaming and ironing of the dresses, finishing makeup and lots of ribbon knotting and flower pinning.
Finally, my huge project for the last 6 months was finished. As soon as the girls had on the dresses, it seemed like they weren't even the same pieces I had been toiling away at in my sewing room. They were just out there in the world, on these girls, fitting great. They all looked beautiful. (Sorry, I know that was cheesy, but after over 100 hours of work, I think I deserve a little cheese, and not just toasted American cheese sandwiches:))


We made it to the photo shoot at 6:15, right when all the guests were arriving. There goes the suprise! We took our photos and went back up to the suite to take a load off our feet. This was definitely when most of us discovered how uncomfortable our shoes really were:)



I'm going to make the wedding and reception its own post, just because I think it deserves a page all to itself :)

No comments: