May 7, 2006

New Orleans - part 3

So, Saturday started much like Friday, cheese sandwich, walk to the Mom's hotel, fittings. Mom and I got to work doing as much of the alterations we could handle before heading to the Jazz Festival. We were joined by my aunt Rosalind and cousin Audrey, who helped with some stich ripping. Rosalind was finishing Audrey's hem, and Dana was adding some extra lining to her dress, so we had a veritable bridesmaid's dress sweatshop going on. Finally we stopped working around 12 noon, and headed off to the festival. I had really wanted to get all the sewing done by Saturday, just in case anything went horribly wrong Sunday morning, but oh well.
Saturday was super hot and muggy, and incredibly windy. The first thing Chris and I did when we got to the festival was get some food, but it was so windy it was hard to eat. I'm so smart, I got a plate of hummus, which ended up all over my arm. The tent we were eating in started to blow away, and later in the day we saw that they had taken the tents down altogether. We met two super nice men from Florida who told us all about all the different stages and suggested which acts we should see.
We walked around for a bit and found where the Jazz and Gospel tents were, then we headed to the main stage for Galactic. It was way too crowded where we were, right beside the path, so people kept bumping us walking by. Finally we threw in the towel, it was just really hard to enjoy the show. We headed over to the Jazz Tent for some shade, and found 2 empty seats! Yay! Then I looked over and saw the Mom with Kathleen and Dorice, so when the act ended, we got seats beside them and held onto them for the next few hours. Mom, Kathleen and Dorice kept us well fueled with iced coffee, beignets and Dove bars, yum! We knew it would be super packed for Herbie Hancock, which was the one act we really wanted to see that day, so we stayed in the seats through the next act, which was awesome. It was a tribute to Nina Simone by a vocalist named Jhelisa, and she was amazing. It was nice to cool off and get out of the wind, which was blowing all the dirt around. Then was Herbie Hancock, who was wonderful, as always. I got a couple of pictures, but they are incredibly blurry. Boo.
After Herbie Hancock, I thought we'd check out Dave Matthews Band, but the sound was really bad at the back due to the wind. So we just left and got in the cab line early to get back and cleaned up for the rehersal dinner.
Julia and I ended up walking to the rehersal. I made a great entrance in my cute black dress, new necklace and hair up, sporting my backpack and flipflops :) It's so hard to clean me up! The rehersal was noisy and confusing (21 people in the wedding, most of whom enjoy attention!), but we got it down and left for the dinner at Acme. Acme is an oyster house, so not a lot of vegetarian stuff, but they had some good pasta which I filled up on.





Larry had prepared a great slideshow, with lots of embarrasing pictures of Grant, and not so many of Gill (he should have asked me for some!).
We left right after the slideshow to go get changed for the Umphrey's McGee show. We got "the best cab driver" :) who waited for us while we got changed, then took us on a shortcut to the bar. At this point, it had started raining hard, and there was a tornado warning. It was still crazy windy, which prompted Julia and I to break out a rendition of "It was a hard night last night" on the drive.

It was a hard night last night
It was a hard night last night
The fence blew down in a storm
The windows on the house broke off
The door blew off the wall
And I have this horrible cough
It was a hard night last night

We got to the bar and found that we had only missed a couple of songs. I'd never really heard much of Umphrey's before, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. We met up with a few more wedding people and hung out with them for most of the second set. Julia and I decided to leave right before the end, and we got a cab right outside the bar. It was the first time we were overcharged for a cab though, he told us right off the bat it would be $15, which was way more than the meter would have been. Oh well, it was still raining and we just wanted to get back.
So speaking of things that could have gone horribly wrong...The power had gone out at the guest house while we were out, and it went out again about 15 minutes after I went to bed. Thank goodness for the trusty alarm clock on my phone, but really, with the tornado warning, what if Mom's hotel lost power and we had to sew everything by hand! Yup, I'm dramatic...it was fine :)
Part 4 - the wedding day - coming up!

No comments: