May 7, 2006

New Orleans - part 2

So after waking up Friday morning, I headed down to the gas station a couple of blocks down Canal St. and bought bread, cheese, muffins and milk. Yup, we ate a lot of bread, cheese, muffins and milk for breakfast during our trip. Had I walked down 2 more blocks, I would have found Betsy's Pancake House, which had the best blueberry pancakes I've ever had. But, we didn't find it until Monday, so toasted cheese sandwiches it was.

I then walked down to the Mom's hotel to do some fittings and alterations (and a swim!). 5 of the girls had a fitting, and all but 1 of those needed alterations of some sort. So, of course I procrastinated, thinking that I had lots of time after the Jazz Festival that night to get down to business. I went back to the hotel and met Chris, Brian and Julia and we got a cab ride to the festival from a cabbie who lives in the guest house! He gave us a great deal :)

The festival was great. The weather was hot, but not too hot, and the only lineup that was long was for drinks.





We saw Keb Mo and Bob Dylan on the main stage, but by far the highlight of Friday for me was absolutely Ani Difranco. Her setlist was GREAT!!!:

Shy
Manhole
Studying Stones
Two Little Girls
As Is
Sunday Morning
Untouchable Face
Names And Dates And Times
Spoken Word: IQ
Swim
Red Letter Year
Fuel
Gravel
78% Water
Swandive
Recoil
Shameless
Little Plastic Castle
Evolve

So, we went back to the hotel and I got cleaned up to go sew all night. I started walking to the hotel (the buses and streetcars were free, but never seemed to come when I needed them!), then a cab pulled over and gave me a free cab ride since it was on his way! He wouldn't even take a tip when I got out.

So, I had Mom's key from earlier in the day, but apparently this hotel had serious problems with keys deactivating, so I couldn't get into the room. So I waited in the lobby for a bit, tried calling everyone's cellphones, then waited a bit more. Finally, Gill and Grant got to the hotel, but they didn't know where Mom or Dad were. So, I waited in their room for a bit, then they were leaving, so I went back to the lobby just as Mom was arriving back with everyone else. It was now almost 10 PM, and I just plain don't do a good job working after 10. I start to make mistakes, and have to redo things over again, so it's just not a good idea. I started working on the dress that needed the most work, but Dad came up to the room to go to bed, so I figured I'd be better off waiting until the next morning. Nobody's fault (except maybe the hotel's faulty keying system ;) ), it just sucked that I barely got anything done the one night when I had no other plans!

Part 3 coming up!

No comments: